View All Air Canada JobsAir Canada
Data Scientists and Operations Research Scientists at Air Canada work on problems that are core to the company’s mission. Major challenges include developing systems and models to best match the Air Canada’s business operations to the highest standards on quality and safety. In addition to developing the company’s core technologies, the AI CoE team provides decision support analysis for many teams across the organization including product development, road mapping, on-going support and strategy. Data scale ranges from small data sets to large multi-terabyte organizational information in distributed database systems.
We’re looking for experienced analytics professional with a strong technical background, leadership instincts, and managerial skills. You would be guiding and developing a talented team of Data Scientists, in support to the managers. This would entail defining best practices to be used across all AI projects; selection of appropriate machine learning models, and helping to develop quarterly roadmaps, managing several simultaneous projects, mentoring and fostering individual career development, and coordinating closely with other stakeholders across the company. This position requires excellent communication skills, business instincts, and a “get-it-done” mentality to ensure that results are delivered while also encouraging creativity and innovation.
- Guide Data Scientists and provide technical direction
- Define and continuously improve best practices and procedures used by the teamWork with Data Science and Product leadership to devise product and technical roadmaps
- Select appropriate machine learning models to be implemented by the team.
- Manage scope and pace of execution across multiple projects for high quality and on time delivery
- Remove obstacles and enable teams to work productively in a constructive environment
- Develop creative solutions to diverse problems including engineering challenges, unstructured data messes, ontology development, and machine learning applications
- Lead and develop major projects from end-to-end encompassing planning, design, technical implementation, debugging, roll-out to Product &
- Engineering, testing, and iteration
- Operate at level of sophistication in statistics, machine learning, or computer science that is publication-worthy and participate in AI community workshops and other industry events.
- Regularly monitor pull requests, perform code reviews, and produce excellent peer reviews on projects prior to shipping to Product & Engineering
- Evaluate and experiment with new technologies and tools prior to wider adoption by the team
- Work closely with Analysts, Data Scientists, Project Managers, and Data Engineers
- MSc or PhD level in the field of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, or Mathematics, preferred
- Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) certification, preferred
- 10+ years experience as a data scientist or in a similar role
- A proven track record in delivering AI projects into production
- Strong project management skills and a passion for teaching
- Strong business and product instincts
- Strong presentation skills and excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical collaborators
- Experience effectively turning research results into applications and features that drive business impact
- 5+ years experience in statistical modelling and machine learning techniques
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- 5+ years experience with common data science toolkits, such as Scikit learn, Azure ML, R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab,etc
- Programming experience in at least two of the following languages: R, Python, Scala, SQL
- 5+ years experience in applying data science methods to business problems
- 5+ years experience in applying advanced analytical and statistical methods in the commercial world
- Knowledge of distributed computing
Company: British Airways
Vacancy Type: Full time
Job Location: Brampton, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A