Marriott International, Inc. is the world’s largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland, with more than 7,000 properties and 30 brands in 130 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties. Marriott’s Law Department services the Company’s lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriott’s internal clients.This paralegal position is part of the Corporate Transactions and North America Hotel Development practice group of the Law Department and will report to a franchise transactions attorney in that Group. Currently, several franchise transactions attorneys and paralegals are assigned to a geographic territory of the United States and Canada, and they share responsibility for contractual matters for hotels in their territory and for the data entry and maintenance of the databases with respect to such hotels. The paralegal will work in such a team but would be expected to assist other attorneys and paralegals in the Group as the need arises.
- Prepare drafts of franchise documents (including franchise and related agreements, comfort letters, amendments, and other agreements), primarily utilizing forms and standardized provisions; prepare drafts of negotiated changes to agreements
- Review and screen information, comments and questions received from franchisees and their counsel.
- Prepare initial draft responses for attorney review.
- Provide direct support to the attorneys and assist other members of the Group in the performance of their duties and responsibilities.
- Interface with franchise transactions personnel, franchisees, and their administrative staff to conduct organizational due diligence and obtain all required information for completion of franchise, and related agreements.
- Facilitate full execution of documents by franchisees and ensure executed originals are returned and filed appropriately.
Undertake special assignments, including research, review, and analysis of contract documentation and other issues, as requested.
- Maintain and update database for hotels in territory and up-to-date tracking of the status of franchise documents from receipt of franchisee’s application to the opening of the hotel.
- Obtain information and assist in the preparation of franchise disclosure documents and collateral documents for submission to government authorities.
- Respond as necessary to miscellaneous franchise development issues.
- Strong project management skills, and ability to meet simultaneous deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent judgment and use of discretion;
- Diligence, dependability and strong work ethic;
- Ability to remain calm in high stress situations, demonstrate “grace under pressure”, and lead by example;
- Ability to adapt to changing work demands;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact and communicate effectively, specifically:
- Ability to present ideas and information in a clear, concise manner in both writing and verbally;
- Ability to interact effectively and develop positive, professional working relationships with clients as well as team members
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Familiarity with database functionality and operation;
- Availability for minimal travel; and
- Flexibility for overtime.
Qualification & Experience:
- Two year college degree and at least three years of relevant work experience; OR at least ten years of relevant work experience as a paralegal.
- Substantive subject matter paralegal experience, preferably in a transactional, real estate, or general corporate practice.
- Paralegal Certificate preferred but not required.
Company: Marriott International
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bethesda, Maryland, US
Application Deadline: N/A