The Director of Accounting Policy (SEC Reporting) will have primary responsibility for managing the preparation of Marriott’s Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) filings. As part of this process, the Director of Accounting Policy will develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with other departments and key stakeholders when overseeing the data gathering process and coordination of reviews. The Director of Accounting Policy (SEC Reporting) will be a key contributor in the interpretation of accounting policies and practices set by regulatory entities and the application of those standards within Marriott for the delivery of high quality external reports (e.g. Form 10-Q, Form 10-K, and other SEC filings). The Director of Accounting Policy (SEC Reporting) will monitor emerging financial accounting and reporting issues and collaborate with the Senior Director of Accounting Policy (SEC Reporting) to determine the impact to Marriott.
- Lead and manage the preparation of high-quality reports on Form 10-Q, 10-K, and 8-K. Coordinate with Marriott’s internal and external legal counsel in the review of other regulatory filings such as Registration Statements, Prospectuses, and Proxy Statements.
- Manage and collaborate with internal stakeholder groups (Legal Counsel, Investor Relations, Financial Reporting and Analysis, Treasury, Global Communications) on the external disclosure of Marriott’s financial information (e.g. investor presentations, earnings press releases, and other communications) considering Regulation FD “Fair Disclosure,” Regulation G “Disclosure of Non-GAAP Financial Measures,” other regulations. Establish, maintain, and strengthen solid working relationships.
- Lead and manage the development of the XBRL-related submissions with the SEC.
- Lead process to maintain and update the Sarbanes-Oxley 404 control documentation for relevant processes, including SEC Reporting, Related Parties, and impairment testing for Intangible Assets.
- Support accounting research and analysis projects on an as-needed basis, covering topics such as goodwill and other intangible assets, segments, and stock-based compensation.
- Lead and manage two Accounting Policy (SEC Reporting) team members, providing on-the-job training, prioritizing tasks, promoting the free exchange of ideas, and fostering a team environment. Responsible for recruiting, coaching, and evaluating these associates.
- Monitor existing and emerging financial accounting and reporting requirements, assessing the applicability to Marriott.
- Identify opportunities and implement improvements to the SEC reporting process that enhance efficiency. Work to continuously improve the effectiveness of Marriott’s external reports and ensure that Marriott’s filings reflect best practices.
- Lead, develop, and mentor team members and encourage collaboration and a positive and productive team environment within the Accounting Policy group.
- Strong research and analysis skills; able to clearly and concisely summarize large volumes of complex information.
- Ability to sell ideas persuasively, settling differences without damaging relationships; can be direct while remaining diplomatic.
- Able to integrate and balance priorities, work activities, and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Strong business acumen.
- Detail and results oriented; delivers timely and accurate results under difficult conditions while demonstrating balanced judgment in conclusions.
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple priorities at any given point in time.
- Collaborative; team player.
- Persuasive; able to influence with effective communication.
- Analytical; makes recommendations using acquired data and cumulative experience.
- Comfortable with complexity and ambiguity.
- Trustworthy with strong business integrity and ability to hold sensitive information in confidence.
- Agile learner; able to readily apply past learnings in new situations to generate solutions to organization challenges.
- In-depth working knowledge of SEC rules and regulations and U.S. generally accepted accounting principles.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with attention to grammar and diction; creates an atmosphere in which timely information flows smoothly through the organization.
- Active learner; able to enhance personal, professional, and business growth through new knowledge and experiences; pushes the organization to learn from other industries’ standards and practices.
- Desire and ability to lead, mentor, and develop staff.
Qualification & Experience:
- Public accounting experience at the manager level preferred.
- Lodging/Hospitality industry experience a plus.
- Minimum of 7 years progressive, professional accounting experience, including work experience similar to that described in this job specification with an SEC registrant.
- Baccalaureate degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline required.
- CPA required.
Company: Marriott International
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bethesda, Maryland, US
Application Deadline: N/A