View All Massachusetts General Hospital JobsMassachusetts General Hospital
Receiving general direction from the Security Manager, Supervisor or designee, enforces Hospital regulations, provides a safe and secure environment for Hospital patients, visitors and employees by enforcing Hospital security regulations and by continuously watching for and timely reporting potential safety hazards and unusual occurrences through patrol of assigned areas. Investigates complaints or potential criminal conduct; assists in restraining patients as necessary; provides protective services. Possesses and exhibits extraordinarily strong customer service skills. Under the authority of a special state police license, responsible for the arrest of criminal suspects.
- Maintains accountability for valuables/property and forms of evidence coming into incumbent’s custody; ensures safekeeping; maintains documentation.
- Cross trains in other locations beyond normally assigned workplace.
- Patrols assigned areas, giving particular attention to those areas where security problems have occurred. Identifies unsafe conditions and improperly secured areas/property to help prevent theft, injuries or damages to Hospital property, patients, visitors and employees. Maintains strict confidentially at all times.
- Participates in assistance with workplace and domestic victims; responds to medical emergencies; when authorized assists in the restraint of patients; involved in the protection of dignitaries; controls pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Voluntary participation in diverse departmental committees, task forces and teams. These include but are not limited to “Customer Service,” “Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design,” “Systems Overview,” “Workplace Violence and Prevention,” “Infant and Child Protection,” “Community Policing,” “3Rs (Recruitment, Recognition, Retention),” “Marketing,” and “Training.”
- Ensures all required training is up-to-date and maintains individual data base training records and reports errors to appropriate supervisor or manager.
- Investigates thefts, shortages and other complaints involving potential criminal misconduct by questioning individuals involved with specific incidents; notifies appropriate law enforcement agencies of potential/real civil or criminal misconduct and detains suspicious individuals as appropriate; when authorized will make arrests as appropriate; participates in subsequent court proceedings as required. Prepares and submits written reports in a complete and accurate manner; makes notations in log of all incidents; keeps Supervisor informed at all times.
- Performs as Dispatcher utilizing “state of the art” integrated security systems; radio dispatches personnel to respond to occurrences and phone calls for assistance; provides and maintains documentation.
- Maintains all hospital issued uniforms and equipment.
- Preferred: 3 – 5 years of experience
- Customer service skills; accessible, energetic, concerned, empathetic, positive attitude, collaborative and flexible. Displays positive image, tact and diplomacy, active listener, articulate.
- Demonstrates the understanding of community policing, risk analysis and crime prevention concepts and practices.
- Experience in hospital, security/police, emergency medical or customer services preferred
- Works effectively both independently and in teams. Able to multitask.
- Strong writing skills to provide and maintain documentation to support data. Intermediate computer skills; typing and use of database software.
- Strong problem solving skills. Critical and analytical thinking, good judgment, prioritizing, industrious and creative resolutions for positive outcomes.
- Field of Study/Additional Specialized Training: Criminal Justice or related discipline, preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- High school diploma required
- Professional orientation: attuned to current theory and practices to support performance; pursue personal growth and development
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boston, MA, US
Application Deadline: N/A